Our culture is one of collegiality and collaboration, which intentionally involves the sharing and challenging of ideas and points of view on the briefs we are tackling and how best to approach them.
If Nature were a school there’s no doubt Chris would be the school captain! A natural born leader with more energy and enthusiasm than a US cheer leading squad – Chris is not just the “figurehead guy” who started Nature, but a very driven MD, injecting passion, care and enthusiasm into the business and its team on a daily basis.
As well as enjoying the challenge of running a highly successful growing agency, Chris is at his best when working closely with clients to understand their business challenges and imperatives, and when applying his methodological expertise and multi-sector experience in crafting data and evidence-based approaches that provide Nature’s clients the clarity they need to make key business decisions.
Chris’s career spans 25 years in both consulting and corporate roles:
- At Telstra, Chris was Director of Customer Insights and Analytics.
- Before starting Nature in 2006, he was a Partner at Blue Moon Research & Planning, where he developed and ran their Melbourne office for 4 years.
- He was a Director at TNS, where he initiated and developed their Advanced Methods Group, and ran their Finance and Business Services team in Melbourne.
- Chris began his career with Advanis Inc., a Canadian choice modelling firm, under the guidance of pioneers in the field.
Chris has a PhD from ANU in quantitative social science and has held fellowships at the University of Wisconsin and Utrecht University, The Netherlands. He has published an academic book and several articles in refereed journals, and has presented at conferences in Cape Town, Vermont, Stockholm, The Netherlands, Australia, and Singapore. He is also accredited as a QPR (Qualified Professional Researcher).
- A proud father to two energetic boys (and another one on the way!), Chris can be frequently spotted cheering on his kids from the soccer sideline, racing around Lysterfield mountain bike track or surfing with them on the South Gippsland Coast
- Hard to keep indoors during sunny weather, Chris can also be spotted playing one of his many sporting pursuits: tennis, golf, hockey, windsurfing, paddle boarding to name just a few!
- Not one for sitting down and reading a book (much to his wife’s dismay!), Chris is also a lover of cooking and travel. With a slightly alarming knack of learning new languages and local accents, Chris is always eager to use one of his 3 passports to jump on a plane and travel.
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Tasmania
Peter has been working in research and finance roles for 15 years and is known by our clients as having the rare trait of possessing a strong understanding of business issues coupled with outstanding conceptual and technical analytic skills. A natural problem solver, he has a unique ability to create clarity out of complexity.
Prior to Nature, Peter headed up the Customer Analytics department at Roy Morgan Research, before which he was an Actuary for Mercer in Superannuation (specialising in Actuarial Studies & Finance at University).
Peter is a regular speaker at AMSRS Professional Development Programs, and regularly publishes articles for research and marketing publications, sitting on the editorial committee for Research News.
- To call Pete an over-achiever is an understatement – from being the leader of the school band, to a talented sportsman, maths genius and supreme baker
- Equally comfortable at KFC as Vue de Monde
- A disgruntled Demons supporter, who lets off steam reliving his youth on a Nintendo once the kids are asleep
- Often found walking about the office shoeless, with a pen behind the ear, muttering to himself
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Australian history between 1800-1900, early 1990s films, early 1990s music and anything Russian
Justin started out in academic research almost 20 years ago before realising that commercial market research was more his pace. But he did manage to pick up a PhD along the way.
He has worked for some of the world’s leading brands, undertaking innovation, brand and CX research across more than 20 countries.
Justin’s passion lies in helping his clients, big and small, commercial and social, achieve the best possible outcomes, through designing and executing bulletproof research.
In his role at Nature, Justin’s focus extends to building capability, driving innovation and supporting the broader team to deliver brilliant work.
- Equally at home with a VB or a bottle of Grange
- Doesn’t work Victorian Oaks Day; pretends to work the rest of Cup week
- Will be subjecting his kids to decades of misery as Carlton supporters
- Specialty Quiz Topic: 80s music, regional Australian landmarks
With almost 15 years consulting experience both locally and internationally, Katie truly ‘gets’ what clients need and prides herself on cutting through the data to unlock the needed answers. She’s fascinated with the psychology behind what makes consumers tick, and the (rather obvious..!) perfectionist in her won’t rest until she can face her clients with a clear story that will help impact their business.
Katie has experience across most sectors and research techniques, although branding, comms and NPD are specialties. Strong organisational skills have seen her manage numerous multi-country and multi-category studies for some of the world’s largest brands.
Katie holds an Honours degree in Psychology, and remains a member of the AMSRS since entering the industry via their graduate program many moons ago.
- Katie’s a travel nut, whose passion is currently (just slightly!) on hold due to the addition of 2 adorable kids to her life. 35 countries down, 160 to go!!
- Addicted to white noise and questionable 90s music
- Netflix binger, caramel addict, pro at hiding veggies in kids’ food
Joel fell into research (as most researchers do) after completing a Bachelor of Psychology and Marketing/Management, chasing a gig in brand and advertising. These foundational years at Millward Brown spurred an ongoing passion for communications and a steadfast belief in the intrinsic good of brands and what they stand for.
What followed is over a decade of experience, working across a broad range of brands, industries, methodologies, and companies of various size and life-stage. From experience working for small and independent boutiques, through to multinationals, Joel appreciates the rigour that a well-considered tool can provide, but equally relishes the challenge of entirely bespoke engagements.
Joel loves a challenging brief, learning a new industry or sector, and trying out new tech and solutions to drive richer insights.
- Joel loves keeping himself busy and squeezing as much as he can into each day
- His passions lie in travel, music (although his taste is questionable), reading, exercise, good food, good wine, better whiskies and bikes (although not at the same time!)
- Because he’s really not a fan of sleeping, Joel also volunteers with the SES, and relishes the variety of training and call-outs
- Joel has a soft spot for furry friends and regularly stops to pat any dog or cat he comes across
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Obscure facts; tech
Adrian is an experienced researcher who has a passion for digging under the skin of what makes people tick. Undercovering the reasons behind consumer decisions and behaviour, and what this means in a business context, is the key thing that drives him as a researcher.
This interest has spanned many industry sectors, but his particular expertise sits within financial services, transport and education. This often requires uncovering what is at the core of behaviour in categories that people tend to want to spend at little time as possible thinking about!
With most consumers not able to provide the answers directly, this often means that Choice Modelling is a good way to get answers, which is an area that Adrian has significant expertise in.
Segmentation studies is another area that effectively undercovers different strands of consumer behaviour, in which Adrian also has substantial experience across a wide range of categories and products.
- Doesn’t mind getting cold and wet if the view at the top is worth it
- Is venerated by his colleagues for his longevity
- Accumulates photoshopped self-images without even trying
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Geography and random facts about lots of weird things
James began his career in market research over a decade ago and since then has led engagements with local and global brands across a variety of sectors including FMCG, retail, automotive, utilities, aged care and finance to name a few.
With particular expertise in brand strategy and communications, James has a passion for understanding how and why people make decisions and identifying ways to influence this.
James’ strong commercial acumen, combined with a natural ability to simplify robust and complex information into actionable insights has earnt him a strong reputation among clients as a key adviser to unlock brand growth.
- James writes to-do lists on his days off and keeps a spreadsheet for most aspects of his life
- James has a 1-year old son named Justin who sleeps better than he does
- James isn’t into sport
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Sport
Having spent more than a decade specialising in quantitative market research, Ingrid has a wealth of experience to draw on across almost all industries and methodologies.
It’s combining this experience with relentless perfectionism, persistent determination and endless curiosity that ensures every project she works on is firmly centred toward the business objectives to deliver clear, tangible and actionable insights.
Curious and with a love of variety, Ingrid is a generalist at heart, specialising in bespoke and carefully crafted ad hoc research.
- Ingrid is an identical twin which can create hilarious confusion when her sister visits
- As mum to a busy toddler and young dog, Ingrid is well versed in juggling multiple priorities!
- An avid traveller and detailed planner, Ingrid is loud & proud of her geeky travel spreadsheets
- Specialty Quiz Topic: The first five questions (aka the beginner questions!)
Paddy came into research consultancy 7 years ago, via a Commerce Degree and an interest in advertising.
While his specialty still lies in advertising optimisation, he has worked across all types of projects since – big and small, ongoing and ad-hoc, cheese makers to charities. He is particularly experienced in leading end-to-end foundational segmentation research – producing intuitive and actionable solutions that can seamlessly feed into brand and communications strategy.
Presentation and the robust discussion around the strategic brand recommendations he provides is what drives Paddy’s passion for his work and the industry.
He is a ‘Millennials’ expert – leading Nature’s self-funded exploration into the unique generation.
- He may seem calm and collected at work, but on the weekends, Paddy turns into a Collingwood ‘nuffy’
- He is known for overlooking his Labrador’s mischievousness
- He prefers Kanye West’s music pre-Kim Kardashian
- He could be the best table tennis player in the world
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Sport and Australian Politics
Emma began her career in professional services, specialising in customer experience and retention. She has a unique ability to draw together primary and secondary data to elevate the standard ‘tracker’ and ensure it is used by clients as a powerful strategic tool.
She couples this with tactical research, particularly in FMCG. A seasoned researcher in pack refreshes and concept testing, Emma draws on years of experience when interpreting results as well as her broader knowledge of the category and emerging trends.
With every project, Emma brings not only her unwavering commitment to quality but her creative flair and eye for detail, visualising data in compelling ways to ensure findings are delivered with impact.
- Emma is competitive by nature and can literally turn anything into a competition
- A survivor super fan, Emma has seen every season since the shows inception in 2000 – it combines her love of games, analysing human behaviour and of course, competition
- Combining her love of cooking and creativity, Emma is currently developing a plant-based food blog
- Specialty Quiz Topic: She has a superhuman memory for random facts about other people’s lives, but don’t expect this memory to translate to any general knowledge topics for the quiz
Sharon has 15+ years’ experience working for local and global clients. During this time she has worked in Melbourne, London and Chicago, and been lucky enough to travel the world talking to consumers and uncovering insights for her clients.
Her strength lies in working collaboratively with her clients and colleagues alike, to ensure every project runs smoothly and delivers quality outcomes for her stakeholders. She has experience in B2B and B2C research across a wide range of sectors including technology, professional services, automotive and FMCG.
Sharon still gets excited every time a new brief arrives, and loves the challenge of designing bespoke solutions for every project.
- Sharon loves to travel and will jump at any chance to explore somewhere new
- Never needs to be asked twice to have a glass of bubbles
- She loves collecting cookbooks, but tends to look at the pictures rather than cook from them
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Music – specifically 1994-1999
After starting her career 4 years ago, Lori has had a very diverse and hands-on experience consulting for marketing teams across Australia. Drawing from her background in finance and statistics, she started her career helping clients develop strong, differentiating brand positions, ensuring communications were aligned to business goals.
After 2 years primarily focused on FMCG and retail brands, Lori moved to Nature to explore a new client base and broaden her analytical skills. Since joining Nature, she has worked across a broad range of clients with constantly evolving business challenges. In recent times, Lori has worked extensively in the insurance and utilities categories.
At the heart of all research though, Lori is interested in understanding what makes individuals and consumers tick. Unpacking what lies behind consumer choices and how this insight can be leveraged by businesses is always very fascinating!
- In the winter you’ll find Lori cuddling up to her little sausage dog, Lulu, or in a local wine bar with friends sitting closest to the open fireplace with a glass of red
- However, for Lori nothing beats summer, the beach, frolicking through wineries and spending long evenings out and about while it’s still light
- She loves an adventure and is always looking forward to her next trip either in Australia or overseas
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Although not actually adding any specialty knowledge at quiz time, she’s always up for the socialising aspect of it
Originally from the UK, Femi started her career in organisational research, conducting in-house projects in the education and not-for profit sector.
Femi made the move into market research several years ago after moving to Australia and has since worked across a range of industries including retail, FMCG, entertainment, education and charities. Her experience spans across both ongoing and ad-hoc studies, and she has unique experience in managing large-scale, complex projects. Her skill here lies in taking the complexity out of the interpretation of data, delivering focused and strategic recommendations.
Femi is also passionate about telling impactful stories with data, presented in a visually engaging way.
- Femi’s favourite pastimes are binge watching Netflix documentaries, travelling, and eating out as much as possible (mainly to avoid cooking)
- She enjoys nothing more than terrible dad jokes, memes and puns, and does her best to weave them into any conversation. She’d like to do more research into ketchup, but the sauces are too unreliable.
- Specialty Quiz Topic: While she can’t claim to have a specialist quiz topic, she is sporadically able to answer questions on British history.
Arpita first gravitated towards research early in her career in Singapore, and eventually moved to the land down under to continue to pursue her passion for insights in a new market. Now 5 years into research, Arpita has done extensive work in the region – both in Asia-Pacific and Australia/New Zealand.
Having lived in 3 countries and studied Marketing and Psychology, Arpita’s experience in understanding how consumer behaviour connects to brand strategy is extensive and far-reaching.
After starting her career mostly in communications and advertising testing, her experience now also spans U&A, concept testing, and (her favourite) segmentation. She enjoys bringing consumer insights to life and making them tangible to businesses through story-led reports and has polished these skills across a range of industries including FMCG, retail, services, and finance.
- On weekends, she can be found at the dog park (note: she does not have a dog)
- Loves yoga and hip-hop music – often does both at the same time!
- Her hobbies include trying new restaurants and asking her friends to rate their meals on 0-10
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Occasionally surprising everyone with a correct answer!
Bethan started her career in research with her sights set on Qual, drawn to the creative process of searching for nuance and meaning in consumer behaviour and decision making. This then led her to the wonderful world of data, and she is now a dual quantitative and qualitative researcher with a broad range of methodological experience under her belt.
She has a solid background in services industries, with the majority of her experience grounded in banking, PHI, property and digital services. Through this she has developed a strong skillset in brand and customer experience research.
She is particularly interested in UX and user-centred design, with the lens of using research to optimise the way that consumers interact with products and services to achieve better (not to mention mutually beneficial) outcomes.
- Loves film, theatre and the arts
- Always on the hunt for some gluten free sourdough and beer
- Dabbles in astrology (won’t sign a contract during a Mercury retrograde)
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Film and autoimmune diseases
Kevin has a strong technical background and extensive FMCG research experience.
He discovered a keen interest in consumer behaviour when studying Behavioural Economics at University, which has led him to pursue a career in Market Research.
He spent the first 5 years of his career at Colmar Brunton in the FMCG team – a natural fit with his love for food and drinks – before joining Nature 2 years ago where he has since broadened his industry experience and increased his exposure to advanced methodologies.
Kevin’s methodical thinking and technical knowledge make him adept at translating complex data into simple action-focused outcomes.
- Kevin is a keen cyclist who can often be found either suffering on hilly roads or enjoying a coffee and brownie at a café afterwards as a reward
- His obsession with numbers extends to his hobbies, whether it is functional threshold power, heart rate zones or brew ratios
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Cycling, coffee or brownie related topics (sadly all of which are underrepresented in quizzes)
Armed with a Marketing and Statistics degree, Jason began his Market Research journey at Colmar Brunton in New Zealand as a fresh faced and numerically inquisitive client executive.
After a year and a half of working on various customer experience and brand strategy projects, Jason was seconded to Millward Brown’s Global Innovation team in the UK.
While further honing his CX and Brand expertise, he also developed a deep understanding of advertising effectiveness, before finishing up and moving back to the southern hemisphere where his pronunciation of ‘data’ would never be ridiculed again.
Jason has particularly prominent experience in FMCG, retail and aviation, and is passionate about communicating clear and actionable stories to his clients.
- Kiwi humour so dry he often finds himself in trouble
- Jason considers himself the Avatar of racket sports, proficient at tennis, squash, table tennis and badminton
- Enjoys the musical stylings of Young Thug, Lil Baby and general Atlanta hip hop
- A bit of a weeaboo, Jason is always up to date with the latest anime
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Sarcastic comments
George began his career in research with TNS right after completing his Bachelor of Psychology & Management/Marketing.
Since making a start in research almost 7 years ago, George has worked on a wide range of projects for some of Australia’s biggest brands.
Being tempted by the ‘dark side’, George moved to a client-side role with AXA, later becoming a part of AMP where his involvement helped shaped AMP’s adviser value proposition. This period of time really solidified his passion for banking and financial services research with a focus on customer experience.
Following his time at AMP, George took his love of financial services to the next level by working as financial planner but ultimately returned to his original passion of psychology, completing his postgrad studies. During this time he also took his family from n=2 to n=3.
- George has two passports that are always at the ready just in case an overseas adventure presents itself
- His Mediterranean background means his preferred travel destinations include plenty of sun and white sand
- He has an embarrassingly large collection of ties, pocket squares and shoes thanks to the family business in menswear
- His current passion is in digital privacy, open source software and Linux (mention these things around him at your own risk)
- Specialty quiz topic: Knows a bit about Greek mythology and word origins after 12 years of Greek school
Alex has a background in visual and perceptual psychology, holds a Bachelor’s Degree in science (double-major in psychology) and is currently completing a PhD. He is fascinated by what makes people tick, and deciphering the drivers of human behaviour.
He has previously worked within Defence, but most recently spent four years consulting to the Australian franchising sector, working across a number of industries including food retail, services, banking, aged care, and automotive.
Alex’s experience has instilled an innate curiosity in how things work, particularly the human mind and body, motoring and technology. He enjoys staying on the edge for all things tech-related.
- Is dad to a cheeky English Bullterrier called Stella who still thinks she’s a lap-dog
- Learned how to play ‘Smoke on the Water’ at 10 and has played guitar ever since
- Takes great pride in cooking the perfect Sunday roast, with all the trimmings
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Cocktail inputs/names
Todd’s journey into research was precipitated by a passion for understanding why people behave the way they do.
As a result, Todd is fascinated by the latest developments in artificial intelligence and technology. If there is a new tech toy on the market, chances are he already has it integrated into his smart home. He thrives on using the latest methods and technologies to help his clients reach their goals.
This has led to experience in helping clients across a broad range of industries (FMCG, Finance, Automotive and Retail to name a few) to make strategic decisions, off the back of innovative research programs.
- Adopted a stray cat in Preston; his name is now Preston
- Free time is spent catching up with friends over brunch, arts exhibitions, museums
- Likes to throw in the odd Spanish word every now and then into el centro del sentence without explaining what it means
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Science/Technology
With a background in Marketing and Psychology, Amelia’s passion for research stems from her interest in understanding the psychology behind consumer decision making. Her skills in both quantitative and qualitative research allow her to consider not only the research outcomes but the ‘why’ behind them, assisting clients to get to know their customers and provide customer-led offerings and marketing messages.
Her experience in market research spans across a variety of industries including retail, digital, aviation and finance. She is particularly fond of customer research and uncovering the influencing factors in purchase choice from brand perception to internal drivers and barriers.
Amelia likes to take a holistic approach to research, working closely with clients to find solutions to meet both the needs of customers and businesses.
- As a coffee enthusiast, Amelia enjoys working at a local café on the weekends
- Will always put her hand up for a dinner out with good wine (mainly to avoid cooking)
- First person on scene when there’s a cute dog nearby
- Specialty quiz topic: Dog breeds
Anna always dreamed of crossing the ditch to Australia’s ‘Wellington equivalent’ Melbourne on the hunt for some warmer weather and that big city life.
Armed with an Honours degree in Marketing from Otago University of Dunedin, Anna began her career in the Consumer Insights team at Nielsen New Zealand, ready to make her mark, get inside the heads of consumers and use this knowledge to help her clients get ahead.
After 2 years at Nielsen, Anna moved to Nature not only to expand her client base but also to broaden her analytical skills and exposure to advanced methodologies.
Anna’s passion lies in the ‘so what?’ of research, working out the next steps her client should take to leverage the findings of the research.
- She dreams of one day of owning a sausage dog named Frank and driving him around in a Fiat Bambino
- In her weekends Anna will be found running a loop at the Tan track and hitting the op shops
- Specialty quiz topic: As a kiwi she’d like to be able to say anything to do with New Zealand, but it is still yet to be discovered
Chris’s passion for market research stems from a love of marketing and data analytics.
He works very closely with clients to uncover data-driven insights that will ultimately help grow their businesses and brands. Chris is always looking to expand his knowledge in his areas of interest, which include big data, technology and brand research.
His career so far has seen him work across a wide range of industries including Finance, Automotive and Alcohol, where he has been able to apply his experience and problem-solving skills to bring value to his accounts.
Chris is a Monash University graduate and an active member of its alumni network.
He loves the thrill of taking on a new brief and is always ready for the next challenge!
- Live music enthusiast – Chris’s second home is the Corner Hotel
- Expert on beer (and an avid drinker of it)
- Plays in a social netball league
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Music
Upeksha is a data analyst with a broad knowledge across various market research data collection methodologies and extensive experience in data processing, database management and analysis. Her extensive experience as a programmer/analyst working in market research field agencies has exposed her to research projects across a range of industries.
At Nature, she is involved in all things data. Supporting and calibrating with project teams, her key focus is delivering quality and insightful outcomes for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Upeksha’s passion might be data, but her two boys are her pride and joy
- Often spotted supporting her sons across junior sport leagues, be it basketball courts, soccer or cricket fields; known to get very competitive on the sidelines
- Loves decorating cakes and meticulous in putting the finer details together; will stay up all night to get the right look if needed
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Quietly mumbling answers to random questions
After a long stint as a legal assistant, Amber joined Nature as Office Manager in early 2010, which makes her one of Nature’s most long-standing employees.
After 9 years in the Melbourne office, Amber decided she was pretty homesick and it was time to head back to NZ, where she now works from Nature’s ‘satellite office’ in Auckland, in a slightly different capacity.
As the go-to person for everything from accounts, to proofreading, to obscure queries about anything, though off-site Amber still plays a key role in keeping the business running smoothly and the team on the straight and narrow.
- Owner of the world’s best dog, Tinks, who is also a part-time member of the Nature team
- The red hair is 100% not real
- Though she misses the Melbourne office banter, she really appreciates being able to belt out a showtune when the mood takes her, without anyone hearing
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Classic literature and Broadway musicals
Suz’s office administration experience spans across industries from architecture, law, finance and market research.
Prior to joining Nature, Suz was the Office Manager at GfK ANZ Pty Ltd (formerly Blue Moon Research) for 13 years.
Suz is responsible for delivering the highest quality of office management support, and ensuring the office runs smoothly on a daily basis.
- Suz loves painting with acrylics
- She enjoys catching up with friends, walking, bike riding, and going to the gym
- Most evenings you’ll find her in dance battles with her son
- Don’t judge, but ironing really relaxes her
- Specialty quiz topic: Yet to be discovered, but she’ll definitely give 80s music a go
Prior to joining Nature, Sam spent over 8 years supporting a large Sales team and electrical engineers, as a highly motivated Assistant with solid office, customer-facing and administrative experience.
As well as being the first person you’ll speak to when you call Nature, Sam provides much essential administrative support to the Nature team.
- Sam now has a daughter (Imogen)
- Loves to spend her time with her puggle (Morgan), fiancé (Corey) and family and friends
- Her favourite place to visit/holiday is Bali
- Specialty Quiz Topic: Celebrity gossip